Monday 29 November 2010

New Games Journalism

I read a new games journalism article titled; Bow Nigger, I found the article quite interesting to read, and felt that I could link some of the experiences mentioned in the article about the online world of the game and encounters with different players within the walls of the game world, not to the same game, but to other online games. I enjoyed reading the article, and I think it told the story of the experience very well, however as an article based on a game, it contained very little facts about the actual game, there were little chunks of information about the game and some of its mechanics mixed in with the story of the experience, but not enough to know the game well, without having to play it. Despite the lack of detail about the game itself, I found whilst reading I was able to form a simple idea of what the game was like, and I enjoyed reading it as an insight to a players experience within the game, rather than a more traditional games article, which would have been more based on the game itself rather than on a meaningful experience within the game. In summary, I enjoyed reading the article and accept it as a story of a players experience within the game, instead of a review of the game, its not the sort of thing I would want to read if I was looking at potentially purchasing the game.

1 comment:

  1. this is an interesting reflection on the nature of articles of these sorts.

    ReplyDelete