Tuesday 12 October 2010

Board game development

Today I made changes to my game. I wanted mainly to tidy up the game board, as it was rather cluttered. I also wanted to simplify the rules as when I initially designed it I kept adding new elements and it got quite confusing. I re-wrote the rules more clearly and re-designed the bored and cards which helped to give the game a clearer look. However when playing the game, it was a bit boring. The idea in my game is for one player to be designated as the chaser, and the other players have to 'race to the finish' without being eliminated by the chaser by losing all their three lives. The chaser uses a 4 sided die while the other players use a regular die. I think the game is over complicated, and the chaser is considerably under powered. For example when the game was played the chaser only managed to take one life from the other players, (each player starts with three). I think I would rather abandon this concept than continue to refine the design.

1 comment:

  1. A chase game is just a start, we will start iterating the ks1 games next week, so a good thing to think about is how you can get people to practice and learn things without asking them quiz / multiple choice questions.

    ReplyDelete